Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Manic Mardi

Most people hate Mondays, me, I'm really beginning to hate Tuesdays (or Mardis)...

Its midterm week, so like all college kids, I stayed up way to late last night doing everything else BUT studying. I was a bit bitter about being in Paris and having to stay inside to study, so to show my professors they couldn't make me, I didn't study. But I didnt go out either. I know, this makes absolutely no sense.
I still had to somehow cram in 7 Centuries worth of French history through architecture in my head, so I decided to wake up early and have a study date with the books.

In my bedroom, I have a big window and balcony that looks right out to the Champs de Elysees. As you can imagine, this is very distracting. After about an hour of studying (aka facebooking) and constant glances out the windo, I decided to lace up my sneaks and go for a quick run. 45 mins outside would do my mind good, and I'd be better focused.

The arc de triumph

TWO hours later... I finally came back. It was just one of those good runs where you can't stop. The weather was perfect and I love watching all the people there. When else will I be able to run past the Arc de Triumph, through the Louvre, around the Jardin des Tuilieries, and past the Bastille?

90 years of Vogue covers lining the rue! (yes, Madonna's Vogue has been stuck in my head all day after this!)

This would have been all fine and dandy if
a.) it wasn't midterm week
b.) if I didn't have classes all day today, so really a two hour run had no place in my schedule
c.) I AM RUNNING A MARATHON ON MONDAY... this was supposed to be my tapering week!

I know it was really stupid of me, but it had been a long time since I'd run for that long. I had a lot on my mind and it just felt so good. I'm big into "listening to my body," it was definitely telling me to keep going! Plus, I'm doing the marathon just for fun anyway, so "ce n'est pas grave!"

Well after I rushed home, I jumped in the shower, and gobbled up some tuna. Then I left a video message for my mom on her Facebook page (i know, shes THAT cool) and ran to the metro to get to class in time.

After three hours of classes, I had to board the RER (basically a train) to Bourg-la-Reine. I "studied" for the hour commute (or just listened to adorable little girl talk to her momma in french!), and then taught English to two French families (I get 15 Euro/hour , for a total of 45 Euros plus dinnahh, mmmm!) I didn't get home till 10:30ish and now its 11 and I haven't even looked at the stuff for tomorrows exam....


The RER


I really thought this whole study abroad thing would be a whole less studying and a lot more "abroad-ing"?!??!

Bisous!

No comments:

Post a Comment